Women in Science
Moderated by  Laura Hoopes
Posted on: September 23, 2012
  |  
Posted By: Laura Hoopes

Imposter Syndrome Dissected on Scientific American Blog

Aa Aa Aa
Dear friends of women in science,
Back in August (on Aug 9), Kate Clancy covered the imposter syndrome in science on the Scientific American blog network. She began by citing her daugher's statement that. "I want to be a scientist like mama and an engineer like dada!" The solution to the imposter syndrome could be role models that convince kids of the viability of their dreams, she implied.
No doubt you remember our discussing this ugly syndrome before, the idea that you don't deserve the recognition you've received, it's all some kind of mistake and you're unqualified to be doing your job. You're an imposter and soon someone will shout, "Fly, all is discovered," and you'll have to go, terminally embarassed to be uncovered as an imposter. I'm dragging this out because it's serious and because if you take it out in the daylight and examine it, it's ludicrous, laughable, comic. You have been tested and found good, you have supporters, you know your own mind is quick and full of good STEM insights, really. But those doubts can be so strong at times.
Clancy explains she's blogging out of her imposter syndrome this way, "Am I living a life I can be proud of? Most certainly. Am I pursuing teaching, research, service and outreach projects I deem important? Absolutely. Have I organized my time in such a way as maximizes my case for tenure?
No. No, I have not."
She had just been to a male-dominated conference and had co-run a session there on the imposter syndrome. She was surprised that half the audience was older, powerful-looking men. They had come for several reasons: "Some men were there to be allies, some were there because they had no idea what the term impostor syndrome was and wanted to find out, and some were there because they wanted to discuss their definition of impostor syndrome, which was the existence of scientists who act like they know what they're talking about but are really impostors..." She was amazed that some men said they had also felt like imposters.
She wished they had had time to discuss how to move forward from this insight to discuss how to end imposter syndrome. Do you have any ideas?
cheers,
Laura
Comments
6  Comments  | Post a Comment
Community

I wrote an article on this for Psychology Today which may be of interest to readers here: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/good-thinking/201310/do-you-feel-imposter

From:  Denise Cummins - Research Psychologist |  March 9, 2014
Community

Laura,

I've definitely experienced this. I've found that the best remedy is a good boss, or even a colleague. When you are full of self doubts, the right person can point out your pluses. A short conversation can work wonders. The fact that we are so rare and isolated makes insecurity harder to deal with.

Sounds like a good role for us old-timers! Work to encourage those around us.

Many women, from teen girls on up, feel insecure about their abilities. I don't see it in men, particularly young men, anywhere near as much. Sounds like something we need to change culturally.

Marian

Community

Get to know a few other scientists in similar positions, and compare your achievements with theirs. Don't compare yourself to perfection; compare yourself to others with similar background and opportunities. As you get to know a few scientists who will allow you to see behind their "professional masks" you will find that they have insecurities also. None of us can know it all (and much of what we think we know, will soon be shown to be wrong). We all need to build "professional masks" and be selective on those we allow to access to our more complete identities. The real phonies are those who project (to others) and really believe (of themselves) that they know it all.

Community

Hi FBP, thanks for the tip, and Erlinda you have a good idea but I don't know of specific ones for Latina and black women but perhaps one of the readers will and can help with information.
cheers,
Laura

Community

Hi Laura,
I think when women are in science, where they are rare, it's even more likely they feel like imposters if they are Latina or black. Double marginalization, right? So getting some good tips from workshops on imposter syndrome management would be very helpful for them. Do you know of these specifically for women of color?
ENC

Community

Hi Laura,
There are workshops on this, so if people want to they can work on their skills.
Women or men with this issue can use affirmations prepared in advance, for example. It's a negative repeater track in the brain, so you can make a positive repeater track to fight it.
I get it sometimes, especially at conferences in allied fields where I don't know many people and women are rare.
FBP

Scitable by Nature Education Nature Education Home Learn More About Faculty Page Students Page Feedback